- Choose a Hosting Plan
The first step is to place your order. We offer three hosting packages: The Basic Plan, the Professional Plan, and the Institutional Plan. Our website lists the services and features that are included with each plan. The biggest differences between various OJS hosting plans are the size of disk space, the number of upgrades, the number of journals, and the initial training involved.
- Help with Migrating Your OJS to OpenJournalSystems.com
If you are migrating your current OJS to the OpenJournalSystems.com server, we will need a full system backup (OJS system files; MySQL database [SQL dump]; and submission files directory). You can compress (tar gzip) all the files and then upload them to our server using FTP. We will provide the FTP login credentials once the account setup is complete. You can also upload full system backup to Google Drive or Dropbox and share a link with us for download and transfer. If your current host is using a cPanel, you can provide us with login access to your cPanel and we’ll take care of the backup and transfer. There are no costs involving migration and it takes about 24 hours to migrate and set up your account.
- Upgrading from OJS 2.x to 3.x
There will be an initial cost for upgrading your OJS from 2.x to 3.x upon following migrating to our server. All the future upgrades following that will be free.
- Changing Your Current Domain DNS Records or Register for a New Domain
The last step following the migration is to change your current domain DNS records or to register for a new domain. During your account registration process at our Client Portal, you will have an option to register for a new domain name, use an existing domain name, or transfer an existing domain name to OpenJournalSystems.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Proven Track Record: OpenJournalSystems.com currently hosts more than 200 open access journals using Open Journal Systems, and have served over 1000 OJS clients worldwide. We have the proven track record of providing comprehensive solutions for Open Journal Systems and helping scholarly publishers make the most of their online publishing projects. We invite you to visit our Testimonials Page to find out what our current clients have to say about us and our Projects Page to find out more about our portfolio and clients.
- Awesome Customer Service: What sets our product, service and company apart from our competitor is the quality of our service. We take great pride in offering the best customer service available. Whether it’s walking you through the account setup, or troubleshooting your OJS, we’ll do what it takes to keep you happy. We invite you to visit our Testimonials Page to find out what our current clients have to say about us and our Projects Page to find out more about our portfolio and clients.
- The Best Value: We provide our journal-hosting support at the lowest cost possible to help academic professionals, research institutions, and universities around the world to create and share global knowledge.
- Professional Support: We provide professional OJS support and maintenance services, including regular OJS upgrades, backups, security monitoring, and a dedicated OJS support desk to ensure that OJS run smoothly, effectively, and securely.
- Best OJS Security Practices: OpenJournalSystems.com place the utmost emphasis on security and we’re always looking for ways to improve. We use many different layers of security to help protect your OJS site from being hacked. Each layer by itself is capable of stopping an attack. When all of the layers are combined, the overall security level goes up geometrically, creating a stronger OJS security system. We have implemented cutting-edge security policies and protocols that includes OJS as well as server security hardening.
- Regular Upgrades: We deliver what we advertise – We provide regular OJS software upgrades to keep Open Journal Systems secure, functioning, and up-to-date with the latest developments and new plug-ins.
- Reliability and Uptime: We use cutting-edge servers for increased up-time and to promote sustainability. We realize that server up-time is a priority in scholarly publishing and we monitor our servers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Innovative Solutions: We’re constantly thinking of ways to improve our service in every possible way and work collaboratively with our clients each step of the way to create innovative customization solutions.
Yes. Backup is a crucial part of any hosting solution. We offer the three backup solutions:
- Onsite Backup: Our onsite full server backups provide disaster recovery options to help protect against data loss or corruption. Onsite backups are run weekly and retained for 7 days by default.
- Remote Backup: We also store daily backup of your OJS database, and weekly backup of your cPanel at Amazon S3 for disaster recovery. All backups are retained for 7 days by default.
- Optional Backup: Optional backup is available using JetBackup, with multiple restore points and quick restore helps you to recover large file systems or entire servers very fast.
- You start by visiting our OJS Theme page and making your OJS Theme selection.
- Choose the License Type from the drop-down menu. Note that a Regular License allows you to use our OJS theme in one journal only. An Extended License allows you to use our OJS theme in multiple journals, within the same installation, and in one server only.
- Then just click on the “Order Now” button and from there you can quickly and easily pay using our secure online system via PayPal or credit card.
- Following your purchase, we will contact you within 24 hours to proceed with your chosen theme installation.
- If you decided to make the installation yourself, we can quickly provide you with our OJS theme plug-in and the readme.txt file, which contains instructions on theme installation and setup. Please note that as you are purchasing a license, we will need to verify where our theme will be installed before providing you with the plug-in.
- Customization Policy: OJS themes purchased from openjournalsystems.com are for your use only. You may customize the theme, but you may not include the original purchased items (or source files) in any distributed end product. This includes any OJS theme that you have customized yourself.
- Licensing Policy: when you purchase an OJS theme from us, you’re acquiring a license to use an OpenJournalSystems.com theme. A single purchase of an OpenJournalSystems.com OJS theme allows you to use the theme on one finished site. If you need to use it on a second site, you would be required to purchase a second license. There are two options when licensing a theme from OpenJournalSystems.com: a Regular License and an Extended License. A Regular License allows you to use our OJS theme in one journal only. An Extended License allows you to use our OJS theme in multiple journals, within the same installation, and in one server only.
- Upgrade policy: themes have to be upgraded in order to be compatible with each software upgrade. Our theme support only covers 12 months of support. An additional charge will be applicable for any theme support beyond the 12 months.
- Refund Policy: because we sell non-tangible digital products which cannot be returned or exchanged, we do not offer refunds. Please take the time to review the theme demos and get in touch with us if you have any questions prior to making your purchase.
- No. Themes and plugins sold on OpenJournalSystems.com are sold under a default split license.
- This Default Split License ensures we can protect our rights and freedoms to respect (and comply with) the General Public License (GPL) but control the use of our own custom created work at the same time.
- There are two elements covered by a Default Split License:
The Non-GPL Portion: This includes all Assets – `, Images, and Custom Templates created by OpenJournalSystems.com.
The GPL Portion: This includes the OJS core files: PHP, HTML, and standard OJS Templates.
- This setup is in compliance with Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) ruling. In 2009, The SFLC opinion states that the PHP and any intermingled HTML needs to be released under the GPL but CSS and images, by contrast, can be but do not need to be. Essentially what this means is two different sets of licensing rights apply. The latter components that are not released under the GPL, the custom content created by OpenJournalSystems.com, is covered by a separate license and NOT the GPL Licensing
- For more information about Split License, please visit: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202501064-What-is-Split-Licensing-and-the-GPL-
- STRATEGY: We analyze your current workflow requirements and suggest ways to improve your processes.
- PLANNING: We create a visual representation of the new workflow by creating a wireframe.
- BUILDING: We start with the development of your project and provide continuous updates to ensure that the project is always moving in the right direction.
- SUPPORT: We provide comprehensive post-implementation debugging and support to ensure a successful implementation.