- Choose a Hosting Plan
The first step is to place your order. We offer three hosting packages: The Basic Plan, the Professional Plan, and the Institutional Plan. Our website lists the services and features that are included with each plan. The biggest differences between various OJS hosting plans are the size of disk space, the number of upgrades, the number of journals, and the initial training involved.
- Help with Migrating Your OJS to OpenJournalSystems.com
If you are migrating your current OJS to the OpenJournalSystems.com server, we will need a full system backup (OJS system files; MySQL database [SQL dump]; and submission files directory). You can compress (tar gzip) all the files and then upload them to our server using FTP. We will provide the FTP login credentials once the account setup is complete. You can also upload full system backup to Google Drive or Dropbox and share a link with us for download and transfer. If your current host is using a cPanel, you can provide us with login access to your cPanel and we’ll take care of the backup and transfer. There are no costs involving migration and it takes about 24 hours to migrate and set up your account.
- Upgrading from OJS 2.x to 3.x
There will be an initial cost for upgrading your OJS from 2.x to 3.x upon following migrating to our server. All the future upgrades following that will be free.
- Changing Your Current Domain DNS Records or Register for a New Domain
The last step following the migration is to change your current domain DNS records or to register for a new domain. During your account registration process at our Client Portal, you will have an option to register for a new domain name, use an existing domain name, or transfer an existing domain name to OpenJournalSystems.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Getting Started Guide: A step- by- step guide to setting up your OJS hosting accountDavid Green
What are your support hours?David Green
What are the differences between OpenJournalSystems.com managed OJS hosting Vs. PKP hosting?David Green
- Proven Track Record: OpenJournalSystems.com currently hosts more than 200 open access journals using Open Journal Systems, and have served over 1000 OJS clients worldwide. We have the proven track record of providing comprehensive solutions for Open Journal Systems and helping scholarly publishers make the most of their online publishing projects. We invite you to visit our Testimonials Page to find out what our current clients have to say about us and our Projects Page to find out more about our portfolio and clients.
- Awesome Customer Service: What sets our product, service and company apart from our competitor is the quality of our service. We take great pride in offering the best customer service available. Whether it’s walking you through the account setup, or troubleshooting your OJS, we’ll do what it takes to keep you happy. We invite you to visit our Testimonials Page to find out what our current clients have to say about us and our Projects Page to find out more about our portfolio and clients.
- The Best Value: We provide our journal-hosting support at the lowest cost possible to help academic professionals, research institutions, and universities around the world to create and share global knowledge.
- Professional Support: We provide professional OJS support and maintenance services, including regular OJS upgrades, backups, security monitoring, and a dedicated OJS support desk to ensure that OJS run smoothly, effectively, and securely.
- Best OJS Security Practices: OpenJournalSystems.com place the utmost emphasis on security and we’re always looking for ways to improve. We use many different layers of security to help protect your OJS site from being hacked. Each layer by itself is capable of stopping an attack. When all of the layers are combined, the overall security level goes up geometrically, creating a stronger OJS security system. We have implemented cutting-edge security policies and protocols that includes OJS as well as server security hardening.
- Regular Upgrades: We deliver what we advertise – We provide regular OJS software upgrades to keep Open Journal Systems secure, functioning, and up-to-date with the latest developments and new plug-ins.
- Reliability and Uptime: We use cutting-edge servers for increased up-time and to promote sustainability. We realize that server up-time is a priority in scholarly publishing and we monitor our servers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Innovative Solutions: We’re constantly thinking of ways to improve our service in every possible way and work collaboratively with our clients each step of the way to create innovative customization solutions.
What are the differences between OpenJournalSystems.com managed OJS hosting Vs. regular hosting?David Green
How long have you been in business?David Green
How long does it take for my account to be setup after signing up?David Green
Can OpenJournalSystems.com help me migrate my OJS from a previous host?David Green
Do I have to register my domain with you?David Green
Do you maintain website backups?David Green
Yes. Backup is a crucial part of any hosting solution. We offer the three backup solutions:
- Onsite Backup: Our onsite full server backups provide disaster recovery options to help protect against data loss or corruption. Onsite backups are run weekly and retained for 7 days by default.
- Remote Backup: We also store daily backup of your OJS database, and weekly backup of your cPanel at Amazon S3 for disaster recovery. All backups are retained for 7 days by default.
- Optional Backup: Optional backup is available using JetBackup, with multiple restore points and quick restore helps you to recover large file systems or entire servers very fast.
Where are your data centers located?David Green
How do you handle OJS site security?David Green
What payment methods are acceptable?David Green
What is your average monthly uptime?David Green
How many e-mail addresses can be created with an account?David Green
How can I access my e-mail account?David Green
Do you offer Webmail?David Green
What is the policy on “SPAM” and “unsolicited emails”?David Green
Getting Started: An Easy Step-by-Step Guide to Setting up Your Open Journal System ThemeDavid Green
- You start by visiting our OJS Theme page and making your OJS Theme selection.
- Choose the License Type from the drop-down menu. Note that a Regular License allows you to use our OJS theme in one journal only. An Extended License allows you to use our OJS theme in multiple journals, within the same installation, and in one server only.
- Then just click on the “Order Now” button and from there you can quickly and easily pay using our secure online system via PayPal or credit card.
- Following your purchase, we will contact you within 24 hours to proceed with your chosen theme installation.
- If you decided to make the installation yourself, we can quickly provide you with our OJS theme plug-in and the readme.txt file, which contains instructions on theme installation and setup. Please note that as you are purchasing a license, we will need to verify where our theme will be installed before providing you with the plug-in.
- Customization Policy: OJS themes purchased from openjournalsystems.com are for your use only. You may customize the theme, but you may not include the original purchased items (or source files) in any distributed end product. This includes any OJS theme that you have customized yourself.
- Licensing Policy: when you purchase an OJS theme from us, you’re acquiring a license to use an OpenJournalSystems.com theme. A single purchase of an OpenJournalSystems.com OJS theme allows you to use the theme on one finished site. If you need to use it on a second site, you would be required to purchase a second license. There are two options when licensing a theme from OpenJournalSystems.com: a Regular License and an Extended License. A Regular License allows you to use our OJS theme in one journal only. An Extended License allows you to use our OJS theme in multiple journals, within the same installation, and in one server only.
- Upgrade policy: themes have to be upgraded in order to be compatible with each software upgrade. Our theme support only covers 12 months of support. An additional charge will be applicable for any theme support beyond the 12 months.
- Refund Policy: because we sell non-tangible digital products which cannot be returned or exchanged, we do not offer refunds. Please take the time to review the theme demos and get in touch with us if you have any questions prior to making your purchase.
Are themes and plugins sold on OpenJournalSystems.com are sold under GPL?David Green
- No. Themes and plugins sold on OpenJournalSystems.com are sold under a default split license.
- This Default Split License ensures we can protect our rights and freedoms to respect (and comply with) the General Public License (GPL) but control the use of our own custom created work at the same time.
- There are two elements covered by a Default Split License:
The Non-GPL Portion: This includes all Assets – `, Images, and Custom Templates created by OpenJournalSystems.com.
The GPL Portion: This includes the OJS core files: PHP, HTML, and standard OJS Templates.
- This setup is in compliance with Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) ruling. In 2009, The SFLC opinion states that the PHP and any intermingled HTML needs to be released under the GPL but CSS and images, by contrast, can be but do not need to be. Essentially what this means is two different sets of licensing rights apply. The latter components that are not released under the GPL, the custom content created by OpenJournalSystems.com, is covered by a separate license and NOT the GPL Licensing
- For more information about Split License, please visit: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202501064-What-is-Split-Licensing-and-the-GPL-
Can I resell or redistribute the OpenJournalSystems.com OJS theme that I’ve purchased?David Green
How can I reach you for pre-purchase questions?David Green
Is the cost for an OJS theme a one-time payment?David Green
Do you provide a demo site?David Green
I’ve paid for an OJS theme. How do I install it?David Green
What is your refund policy?David Green
How do I pick the right theme?David Green
Can you help me customize the look and feel of my OJS site?David Green
Can I customize my theme?David Green
Can I change the theme colors?David Green
Can I change the theme fonts?David Green
What is Plugin Customization?David Green
What is Workflow Customization?David Green
- STRATEGY: We analyze your current workflow requirements and suggest ways to improve your processes.
- PLANNING: We create a visual representation of the new workflow by creating a wireframe.
- BUILDING: We start with the development of your project and provide continuous updates to ensure that the project is always moving in the right direction.
- SUPPORT: We provide comprehensive post-implementation debugging and support to ensure a successful implementation.
How do you provide support?David Green
What does your support include?David Green
What is an OJS theme license?David Green
If I need to use an OpenJournalSystems.com theme on a second OJS site, do I need a second license?David Green
Can I buy an Extended License for an OJS theme I have already purchased?David Green
How much does an Extended License cost?David Green
Can I remove the OpenJournalSystems.com company credit from the footer?David Green
Does your support plans cover any pre-existing OJS issues?David Green
What is your typical support response time?David Green
Do you offer phone support?David Green
Do you offer 24/7 OJS support?David Green
How knowledgeable is your support team in troubleshooting OJS?David Green
What would OpenJournalSystems.com do if my OJS site were hacked?David Green
Why do I need to upgrade my OJS?David Green
How do I order an OJS Upgrade from OpenJournalSystems.com?David Green
Can I perform the upgrade myself?David Green
How does the upgrade process work?David Green
How long does an OJS upgrade take?David Green
Can you perform an upgrade on any version of the Open Journal Systems?David Green
What are the main differences between OJS 3.x and OJS 2.xDavid Green
How do I upgrade to OJS 3.x?David Green
Can I move my OJS 2.x customization to OJS 3.x?David Green
Where can I find a user guide and documentation for OJS 3.x?David Green
Will existing OJS roles, login credentials, and permissions in OJS 2x be ported to OJS 3.x?David Green
Will all usage statistics in OJS version 2x be migrated over to OJS 3.x?David Green
Is OJS secure for e-publishing?David Green
Why should I care about OJS security?David Green
How will I know if my OJS has been hacked?David Green
Who are the OJS hackers?David Green
Is it important to keep OJS up-to-date?David Green
Is it possible for me to secure my own OJS site?David Green
Do you provide security audits to determine whether OJS security setup matches the internal requirements?David Green